This page gives an overview of the steps you need to take when you receive orders to MCAS Iwakuni.
Please print the full checklist (MS Word / PDF), fill it out as you complete each step, and keep it with you during your PCS.
Upon notification of orders to MCAS Iwakuni:
- Visit our Welcome Aboard section, Military OneSource, and MilitaryINSTALLATIONS for relocation information.
- If you are accompanied, begin the screening process for overseas suitability of all family members.
Note: Upon determination of overseas suitability, your S-1 will request an Area Clearance from the S-1, MCAS Iwakuni, via DMS. A sponsor will be assigned by MCAS Iwakuni upon approval of Area Clearance.
- Visit your installation's Relocation Office to obtain information about MCAS Iwakuni.
- Request a Welcome Aboard Package.
- Attend the PCS with Success workshop at your installation’s Relocation Office.
- Ensure all traveling family members have passports. Visit your local legal assistance office if required.
- Fax or e-mail your housing application to the housing office.
- If you have children and will need childcare as soon as you arrive, please contact the Child Development Center at MCAS, Iwakuni and put your name on the waiting list.
- If you have school age children, pre-register online at Online Student Pre-Registration.
- If traveling with pets please start arrangements to get a space on the AMC flight and contact the veterinary clinic at MCAS Iwakuni in order to obtain the most up-to-date information.
Upon approval of Area Clearance:
Note: Travel with an adequate amount of cash for any emergency situations such as overnight delays or use of local transportation due to missed flights. Estimate no less than 20,000 yen (equivalent to $225) per adult and 10,000 yen (equivalent to $112) for each child.
- Contact your assigned sponsor and provide the following information to permit assignment of a post office box, temporary lodging arrangements, housing appointment, and school information (if applicable):
- A copy of your PCS orders
- A Copy of your area clearance approval message
- Your travel itinerary
- Arrange a household goods shipment at your installation’s Distribution Management Office (DMO).
- Make travel arrangements at the Passenger Travel Office.
- Contact your assigned sponsor, gaining unit, or staff duty to make local transportation arrangements.
Upon arrival aboard MCAS Iwakuni:
For personnel arriving on the Patriot express, IPAC will endorse orders at the Station Air Terminal upon arrival. Transportation will be provided from the Air Terminal to the Temporary Lodging Facility, Joint Reception Center and billeting.
Personnel Traveling Commercial
Welcome Aboard Indoctrination
- E-5 and below unaccompanied will check in to the Joint Reception Center (JRC) at Building 335.
- SNCOs and Officers will check into to billeting and then report to IPAC new joins section to get orders endorsed.
- Personnel arriving after hours/weekend will check in with the Station Duty Officer in building 1.
- On the next duty day, check in at the necessary offices.
- Attend the Welcome Aboard Indoctrination.
- All SOFA personnel 13 and older are required to attend this mandatory orientation.
- During this orientation you will learn about your responsibilities as a member of the military community, Japanese culture and customs and much more. You will also have the opportunity to meet the representatives from different entities from aboard the Air Station during information fair and learn about the services available to you.
- Date: Every Monday **If Monday is a holiday the brief will be held on Wednesday**
- Location: Club Iwakuni
- Attend the brief in appropriate civilian attire, no uniforms.
- Free childcare is provided at the Child Development Center and the School Age Center.
- For more information, call the Information, Referral, and Relocation office at 253-6161, visit MCCS Referral Relocation Assistance website, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org