Iwakuni HomeWelcome AboardCustoms Information
Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan


Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan

MCAS Iwakuni is a mission-ready air station, capable of providing continuous base-operating support for tenant organizations and follow-on U.S. and allied forces during training, combat or contingency (HA/DR) operations throughout the Indo-Asia Pacific region.
Prohibited items in Japan : Customs Information

In accordance with the policy letter, US Forces Japan (USFJ) Policy Letter 11-12B, it is prohibited to bring into the country of Japan from ANY OTHER COUNTRY “OR FROM OKINAWA”, any of the following mentioned items:

  • Plants, parts of plants, seeds and bulbs for propagation and cultivation.
  • Fresh fruits and fresh vegetables (to include frozen articles)
  • Grains and legumes (and products of same) used for foods, forage or oils, which have notundergone heat treatment.
  • Raw materials of condiments and non edibles, such as coffee beans, cocoa beans, pepper, tobacco leaves etc.
  • Dried fruits which have not undergone heat treatment and/or which are not vacuum packed.
  • Coarse fiber, such as flax, hemp, abaca, and straw goods, such as straw bags, ropes etc.
  • Timber with bark.
  • Packing materials or containers of the articles specified above.
  • Any controlled substance as defined by U.S. Federal Law (including Narcotics, Hallucinogenic Drugs, Amphetamines, Barbiturates, Marijuana, etc.)
  • Goods made by convict labor, force labor, or indentured labor under penal sanctions.
  • Destructive Devices (explosive caps, hand grenades, tear gas projectiles, artillery simulators, explosives, flammables, white phosphorus matches, etc.)
  • Counterfeits of coins, securities, obligation, postage or revenue stamps and colored illustrations of postage stamps of the U.S. or other Foreign Countries.
  • Counterfeits of DVD Movies, Games, Music, Clothing or other unauthorized copies or reproductions of copyrighted goods.
  • Obscene and immoral Articles which include ALL forms of PORNOGRAPHY such as books, pictures, playing cards, films(vhs or dvd to include but not limited to Girls Gone Wild), magazines or other publications devoted solely to the portrayal of Sexual acts, including homosexual or with animals. (ANY NUDITY OF THE FEMALE ANATOMY FROM THE WAIST DOWN IS CONSIDERED PORN BY JAPANESE CUSTOMS OFFICIALS. )
  • Lottery Tickets and advertisements of any lottery.
  • Matter, which is seditious, treasonable or insurrectionary toward the United States or the country of Japan.
  • Articles or Medication for the inducement of Abortion.
  • Absinthe or liquors, which contain wormwood.
  • Animals, poultry, bird’s eggs, wild bird feathers, poultry products and byproducts, and animal products and byproducts, to include meat extracts, secretions.
  • Mixed or outdated medications whether over the counter or prescription. ( example: Tylenol mixed with Advil)
  • Any food product that is not still commercially sealed.
  • Firearms and ammunition are not authorized to be shipped to Japan. Pistols are illegal. You need to find storage facilities in the U.S. prior to PCSing.
  • The blades of knives must now be no longer than 2 1/4 inches.
  • All wood products must be finished, fine and smooth. The products must not be termite-infested.
  • Blow-Darts, Sling-Shots and Air-Soft pistols are a no-go No more than 5 liters of any alcoholic beverage, 4 of those liters must be manufactured by a U.S. maker.
Restricted items in Japan : Custom Information

The following list is of items that are restricted in the country of Japan. This means that some are authorized but it must apply to the Military, Civilian, or DOD personnel.

New Japanese Law on Knives
  • The Government of Japan approved a bill on Nov. 2008 that would ban possession of certain types of double-edged knives and tighten the criteria for who can own guns.
  • The revised Firearm and Sword Control Law would ban possession of daggers and other double-edged knives with blades 5.5 cm or longer. “Currently, swords, and knives and spears with blades 15 cm or longer are banned.”
  • There would be a six-month grace period after the new rules on double-edged knives take effect. During that period, those who possess such knives would have to turn them over to police or ship them abroad.
K-Bar image 
On base
  • K-Bars are authorized ONLY if the owner is a SNCO(E6) or Officer.
  • K-Bars are authorized for SGT (E5) and BELOW only if they are on ACCOMPANIED ORDERS and will reside in BASE HOUSING and NOT THE BEQ.
2. Alcohol – Must be 20 years old.
  • No more than 2.28 liters & must be commercially sealed.
  • Cpls (E3) and below, who live in BEQ, are not authorized to purchase, consume, possess, or have present in BEQ any hard liquor.
  • Cpls (E3) and below, who live in BEQ, shall not possess more than six (6) 12-oz beers/wine coolers/malt liquor beverages OR one (1) bottle of wine per occupant of legal age.
  • NCO/PO (E4/E5), who live in BEQ, in barracks shall not possess more than one (1) 750 ml of hard liquor OR twelve (12) 12-oz beers/wine coolers/malt liquor OR two (20) bottles of wine per NCO/PO occupant of legal age.
** Hard liquor as defined here is any beverage with an alcohol content of 10% or higher (20 proof or higher).
3. Tobacco Products – Must be 18 years old.
You are allowed the following:
  • 50 cigars
  • 2 cartons Cigarettes
  • 2 log of Dip / Snuff
  • 50 grams of Chewing Tobacco
** If you bring in more than the above mentioned you will have to pay duty taxes **