Iwakuni HomeWelcome AboardDMO
Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan


Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan

MCAS Iwakuni is a mission-ready air station, capable of providing continuous base-operating support for tenant organizations and follow-on U.S. and allied forces during training, combat or contingency (HA/DR) operations throughout the Indo-Asia Pacific region.
Distribution Management Office
Welcome to the Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Distribution Management Office (DMO) Website. The purpose of this site is to provide general information regarding services provided by your local DMO. Should you need additional information please contact us at the numbers listed on the right.
Passenger Travel Office

The Passenger Travel Office (PTO) is committed to providing excellent customer service for daily Permanent Change of Station (PCS) and Temporary Additional Duty (TAD) travel needs for service members and Department of Defense (DOD) civilians.

Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Closed every Wednesday after 2:30 p.m. 
Location: Bldg. 100, co-located with the Personal Property Processing Office (PPPO) 
Contact: 253-3986 or 3907, after hour's duty cell is 080-5865-3564

Upon receiving PCS orders, uniformed members/DOD civilians and their command sponsored dependents are authorized government travel to their next duty station, Home of Record (HOR) if separating, or Home of Selection (HOS) if retiring from the military.

    Outbound Procedures
  • The first place to begin with receiving a flight from Iwakuni is to conduct a PCS interview with installation Personnel Administration Center (IPAC) outbound.
  • Once you complete the interview with IPAC outbound and turn in your transfer data sheet, they will send DMO a Port-Call Request (PCR) with you and your family’s information along with a flight window that includes two (2) Air Mobility Command (AMC) flight dates.
  • DMO will then respond to IPAC’s PCR with a Port-Call Confirmation (flight itinerary).
  • Transportation is issued after the receiving endorsement Orders.
  • Per the Defense Travel Regulation (DTR) Part I Chapter 103 A2a, all DOD personnel are mandated to use the Patriot Express.
  • Outbound Shipment Form

Members who are serving an accompanied tour are authorized pet transportation as set forth in the Air Mobility Command Instruction (AMCI) 24-101, Volume 14. Transportation is restricted to two (2) pets per family (limited to cats and dogs only).

Due to the limited pet space on all AMC aircraft, timely submission of pet requests cannot be overemphasized.

Personnel who desire to ship pets from Iwakuni must have the request for pet shipment annotated in his/her PCR. PTO will make every effort to get reservations on AMC aircraft but owners must understand that they are responsible for all cost associated with shipping the animals in include paying commercial shipping rates if AMC is not available.

For pets in the “belly” of the Aircraft all cages must be HARD Cages. Soft cages are authorized for “in cabin” travel only. Size must be no more than 20”L x 16”W x 8 1/2”H. Pet must be able to stand up, turn around & lay down naturally in kennel. If temperature reaches or exceeds 85 degrees Fahrenheit at any point during the travel, your pet will not be recommended to travel that day.

Required paperwork includes:

  • Health certificate (no more than 10 days old)
  • Vaccination records (can be more than 30 days, but less than a year)

The Pet Fees and weight (which include the kennel) are;

  • Under 70 LBS: $120.00
  • 71-139 LBS: $240.00
  • 140-150(max) $360.00

Contact the Air Terminal at 253-5509 for more information.

Pet Shipment on Commercial Air

  • When the member receives a commercial ticket, the pet will be confirmed by the PTO office and the member will pay the airline on the day of departure.

Pet Embargo

  • Normally the airlines implement a pet embargo from 15 May to 15 Sep each year. When the temperatures average higher than 85F it is unsafe for pets to travel. Airlines polices vary so consult with PTO for the latest information.

All Temporary Additional Duty (TAD) orders are received from various units electronically via Defense Travel System (DTS) reservation and through Commercial Travel Office (CTO).

Upon receipt of orders an audit is performed of data submitted, ensuring orders are prepared correctly. This includes correct line of accounting, departure cities, and destinations visiting if authorized on DTS orders, Standard Document Number (SDN), destination, departure point, and carrier selection. Unit’s reservations in DTS system will route through CTO for verification of government authorized carrier and GSA city pairs. DMO will then reviews and submit or return for correction. Verification of airfares and carrier selection is mandatory and final review is the Approving Official (AO).

The unit commander is the only one who can grant emergency leave. PTO does not determine whether or not a member is entitled to emergency leave. All emergency leave granted by the commander is funded. The member/dependent(s) is authorized the price of a round trip ticket to the CONUS international airport nearest to the location from which the member/dependent(s) departed to which a scheduled direct flight is available along a normally traveled international route. For those stationed on MCAS Iwakuni, it will be Seattle, WA.

The following exceptions apply:

  • Unit Deployment Program (UDP) personnel traveling from Iwakuni on emergency leave are entitled to travel back to their permanent duty station.
  • Personnel traveling on emergency leave in conjunction with PCS are entitled to travel not to exceed the cost to their next duty station.
  • Personnel traveling to an emergency leave site outside CONUS are entitled to round trip transportation to that location.

DMO has the ability to arrange bus services for official travel to various points throughout mainland Japan if Motor Transportation or Marine Wing Support Squadron 171 (MWSS-171) can’t provide those services.

It’s essential for DMO to receive bus service request with the number of passengers, date, and time, along with the boarding and off-boarding points via e-mail. Units must also provide the cost appropriation data with the request. DMO will then provide the confirmation to the unit once services have been arranged.

Personal Property Processing Office

The Personal Property Processing Office (PPPO) is committed to providing excellent customer service for Permanent Change of Station (PCS) and other personal property related needs for service members and Department of Defense (DOD) civilians. Our Household Goods section (HHGs) processes applications for outbound personal property shipments, boats, and Privately-Owned Vehicles (POV’s); arranges temporary and non-temporary storage of HHG’s along with assisting with the processing and filing of personal property claims for damages.

Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Closed every Wednesday after 2:30 p.m. 
Location: Bldg. 100, co-located with the Passenger Travel Office (PTO) 
Contact: 253-3358 or 3898
  1. Arrival
  2. It is very important that members check in with DMO upon arrival. In many cases, personnel arrive before their shipments, checking in with us will speed up our ability to contact you once your property arrives. Upon arrival of your personal property, we will make every effort to try to contact you before we place your property in storage.

  3. Scheduling Delivery
  4. Once you find a residence you must provide us with the address and map, if you live off-base, along with the day you request delivery. The actual delivery day will depend on the local agent’s schedule, but we will make every effort to meet your needs. Deliveries are not scheduled on weekends or holidays. You can schedule your delivery over the phone or in person. Call one of our inbound clerks at DSN: 253-4439/3898.

  5. Members Responsibilities
    • You or your representative designated in writing must be home on the day of delivery. Know in advance where you want each piece of furniture placed in your new residence. The mover is required to place each piece only one time. Check each carton or item off the inventory. Make sure everything that was picked up is delivered.
    • List any damaged or missing items with appropriate inventory numbers on the "Joint Statement of Loss or Damage at Delivery" (DD Form 1840/1840R) to avoid problems. Make sure you carefully look over your property and list any missing inventory line items or noticeable damage at this time.
    • Do not sign for services if they were not performed by the carrier. Do not argue with the carrier. Contact the PPSO Quality Control section at DSN 253-4763 if problems arise.
    • Bear in mind that if you waive unpacking, the carrier is not required to return later to unpack or remove the empty cartons and crates. An unpacking waiver lets the carrier off the hook for completing the job, including removing empty cartons, packing materials and other debris. If at any time you decide to assist the carrier - that is, help load/unload the truck - you may relieve the carrier of any liability.
  6. Carrier's Responsibilities
  7. You can expect the carrier to begin service between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. The start and completion of any service provided by the carrier can vary depending on the type of move - local, unaccompanied baggage, international shipment, etc. However, if you have no objection to the carrier beginning service before or after these hours, let the destination transportation office know.

    At the time of delivery, the carrier must:

    • Unpack and unwrap all cartons, boxes and crates.
    • Place each item or carton in the room you indicate. This one-time placement includes placing unpacked articles in cabinets, cupboards or on kitchen shelves when convenient, safe and your desired location. Have placement planned out before the carrier arrives. Movers are required to place each item only once.
    • Assemble all furniture and equipment disassembled by the movers at origin.
    • Remove packing and blocking from appliances. The carrier is not required to connect appliances to electric, gas or water outlets.
    • Remove all packing material resulting from the unpacking.
    • Jointly with you, make a written record of any loss or damage on the DD FORM 1840/1840R, "Joint Statement of Loss or Damage at Delivery ", sign the document and obtain your signature. The carrier's representative must leave three copies of DD Form 1840/1840R with you.

    Movers are not required to go into an attic, crawl space or similar storage area for the purpose of delivering and placing personal property. This includes areas that:

    • Are not accessible by a permanent stairway (ladders are not permanent stairways)
    • Are not adequately lighted.
    • Do not have a finished floor.
    • Do not allow a person to stand erect.
  8. Quality Assurance
  9. At some time during delivery of your personal property, an inspector representing the destination transportation office may drop by to check on your delivery. If you have any questions or problems, inform the inspector or contact the transportation office.

  10. Documenting and reporting loss and/or damage
  11. Knowing what to do when your personal property is delivered will help you receive compensation for any damage to or missing items you discover. At the time of delivery, the carrier will give you five copies of a two-sided pink DD Form 1840/1840R (Notice of Loss or Damage).

    All damage and/or loss plus estimated dollar amount of loss and/or damage you notice at delivery should be identified on the front side of the DD Form 1840 by inventory number, name of item, and type/extent of damage or loss.

    The carrier will give you three of the five copies of the completed form which you and the carrier and sign. As soon as possible, but not later than 75 calendar days after delivery, you must examine every item in your shipment and record any additional damage or loss which was not noted at time of delivery on the reverse side of the form DD Form 1840/1840R by inventory number, name of item, and type/extent of damage or loss. You must delivery those three copies of the completed form to the Claims Section, Logistics/Facilities Bldg. 100, DMO office, within 75 calendar days of the delivery. Claims personnel will retain two copies. The third copy will be returned to you, stamped with the date received, for your use when you submit your claim.

    If you submit a claim against the United States Government for damage and/or loss of your personal property during shipment, and there are items on the claim which you have not previously identified on the DD Form 1840/1840R, or the DD Form 1840/1840R is not received by the claims office with 75 calendar days of delivery, a reduction in the amount payable on your claim may result. If you file a claim within 75 calendar days of delivery, make sure the DD Form 1840/1840R reflects all the missing and/or damaged items.

  12. Claims
    • General TIPS on Claims
      1. The following tips will help you ensure that if any of your property is lost or damaged during shipment; you can file a well-documented claim and be paid what you deserve.
      2. The inventory is the most crucial step in the process.
      3. You simply must control the packing and inventorying of your household goods. If items are not listed on the inventory, you may not be paid for them when you file a claim.

        • One of the most common complaints is that there were a lot of packers and movers; this made it hard to watch everything. Nevertheless, you or your agent must understand that you have to exercise some control and authority. If you are so overwhelmed by the packers or movers that you cannot observe your property being packed or listed on the inventory, call (QC) at 253-4763. If you can't be present, make sure your spouse or agent knows what to do and arranges for help if necessary. If all else fails, make a statement on the inventory describing the problem.
        • Make sure that the packers write adequate descriptions of the contents on the boxes and later on the inventory. While the packers do not have to list every item, they should write the general category of the items on the outside of the boxes. The general category of each box (e.g. living room, master bath, toys, etc.) should also be written on the inventory.
        • List items that normally wouldn't be packed in a certain box. Examples: tools packed in a box marked clothes; a lamp packed in a box marked "garage items". If you later claim for an item that would not reasonably be expected to be found in a certain box, you may not be paid for it.
        • Ensure that the carrier employee who fills out your inventory is accurately describing the condition of your property. If you disagree with his/her notations on preexisting damage, write your exceptions at the bottom of each inventory sheet.
        • High value items must be listed on the inventory.
      4. Prepare your own personal inventory and gather substantiation of your major items. Before your move, make a list of the major items you own (i.e. furniture, electronic equipment, art objects). List the purchase prices and dates for these items and gather receipts, paid bills, pre-shipment appraisals to prove it. Then take photographs to show the condition of the property. Keep this information separate from your household goods. Keep it with you when you move.
      5. With good inventories (personal and mover's) and substantiation of ownership and value, you will be in good shape. After delivery, you still must promptly fill out the DD Form 1840/1840R to report any loss or damage.
    • DD Form 1840/1840R
    • This is a pink form and critical in the household goods claim processes. You must understand the role of this form and handle it properly.

      The DD Form 1840 is filled out at delivery. The 1840 is the front side of the form. It is called the "Joint Statement of Loss or Damage at Delivery." Although many deliveries are rushed, you should take all the time you need to list any loss or damage that you noticed during delivery of your household goods. Please make sure that all items listed on the inventory are received at time of delivery, if not, annotate the missing inventory line items on the DD Form 1840 before the agent departs.

      What is the DD Form 1840R? It's the reverse of the DD Form 1840 and has a different title: "Notice of Loss or Damage"

      The DD Form 1840R must be completed and received by the nearest claims office within 70 days after delivery. If you mail it, allow plenty of time for it to get to the claims office within 70 days. Receipt by the 70th day allows the claims office to dispatch a copy of the DD Form 1840R to the carrier by the 75th day as required by agreement with the carriers.

    • Why is the DD Form 1840R important?
    • The Government might conclude that any items not listed on a properly completed and timely filed DD Form 1840R were either not shipped or were not damaged in shipment. The Government will deduct the amount that it could have recovered from the carrier, had a DD Form 1840R been timely filed, from any amount payable to you on your claim. IN MANY CASES, THIS "POTENTIAL CARRIER RECOVERY" DEDUCTION WILL RESULT IN ZERO PAID FOR ANY ITEMS NOT LISTED ON THE DD FORM 1840R. The reason is that the Government can usually recover 100% of the carrier's liability in the majority of shipments. But if you don't report the loss or damage on the 1840R, the Government can't recover any money and in turn will not pay you.

      Even if you have a large shipment, you must complete the DD Form 1840R within 75 days. This means you need to do all your unpacking to make sure you have found all loss or damage so that you can report it. It is permissible to file more than one DD Form 1840R if you discover loss or damage after you filed the first form, but all DD Form 1840s must be filed within 75 days. (There are some limited exceptions to the 75 day rule, but you shouldn't rely on them, unless absolutely necessary, as you may risk not being paid for items reported late.)

      Before filling out the DD Form 1840R, make sure you reverse the carbons!

      Be careful to record correct inventory numbers for all items; even items missing from cartons.

      • Ask the claims office for help with the form if you have any questions.
      • Don't let the 75 days expire without reporting all losses and damages.

      One final comment - Submitting a DD Form 1840R to a claims office does not constitute filing a claim. In other words, even though you submit a DD Form 1840R within 75 days, you still must file a formal claim within 2 years of the date of delivery of your shipment.

  13. High-Value Items
    1. By federal law, the Government may not pay more than $50,000 per claim. If the value of your household goods is greater than $50,000, you should obtain insurance to guard against a total loss.
    2. There are also maximum amounts which can be paid on most items. Some examples of maximums are:
    3. Furniture $3,000 per item
      Jewelry $1,000 per item
      Automobiles $3,000 for all non-shipment claims ($20,000 in shipment)

      Claimants are expected to have insurance above these amounts.

    4. Where can you find this information?
    5. It is in the "It's Your Move “booklet”.

    6. Why are there maximums? In enacting the claims law, Congress only provided for payment for property that was "reasonable or useful" under the circumstances of military service. The maximums set limits on payment to quantities and quality of items that are generally considered reasonable or useful for military members and civilian employees to own. In certain circumstances, these maximum amounts for types of items may be waived.
    7. You need to have substantiation of ownership and value for expensive and valuable items that you claim. It is an excellent idea to have your own personal inventory of your household goods. You should keep a list of all major items along with their purchase prices and purchase dates and the receipts to prove it. Also, consider using photographs to document your ownership of the items and their condition and value. Keep inventories and photographs separate from your property. Don't ship these items with your household goods. You may wish to obtain pre-shipment value appraisals of expensive and valuable property.
  14. Required Documents for a HHG Claim
    • DD Form 1842 and 1844 (the claim forms themselves)
    • AF Form 180 may be used in lieu Orders. One copy, with one copy of any amendments.

    • Inventories
    • All inventories you have concerning shipment of your property. Submit the carbon copy, not a photocopy. If you do not have a copy of the inventory, ask the QC Section for assistance in obtaining a copy from the carrier.

      DD FORM 1840 / 1840R must have the pink carbon copies (All of them should be brought in). Photocopies are not acceptable.

      • Receipts, paid bills, canceled checks, pre-shipment appraisals, photographs or other evidence if available to substantiate the value of the items being claimed.
      • Estimates of repair: A repair estimate should be in writing on a business form or letterhead and should be signed and dated by the person preparing it.
      • Replacement cost substantiation. This should be provided on any item for which you are claiming a replacement cost of $100 or more.
      • Price quotes from stores should be signed and dated on company letterhead and should list the make and model number.
      • You may also submit a page from a catalog. Provide the name of the company and catalog date with the page submitted.
      • You may submit an advertisement from a newspaper or magazine. Provide the name and date of the newspaper or magazine with the clipping or page submitted.

      You should first check to see if replacement items may be purchased through the local Exchange. Failure to check for the replacement cost at the Exchange only delays processing. Claims personnel are directed to use Exchange prices if a comparable item is available there at a lesser cost.

    • Inspections and Salvage
      1. Keep all damaged items until 45 days (60 days for overseas destination shipments) after your claim is settled. The carrier and the claims office have the right to inspect your household goods for shipment damage. Also, if you are paid the actual value of any item, it belongs to the carrier or the government.
      2. If you do not keep an item for inspection, you may not be paid for it. There may be a partial or a full deduction of the value of the item from the payment due to you.
      3. Also, if an item is repaired before inspection and there is no way to verify whether the damage was shipment related, you may not be paid for the item.
      4. Yes, there are exceptions that allow you to dispose of items without inspection which pose a safety or health hazard (moldy mattress or broken glass)or to repair essential items that otherwise could not be used (a refrigerator). Check with the claims office, which should keep a memo for record on any permission given to you to dispose or repair without inspection.
      5. The carrier has the right to inspect within 45 days (60 days for overseas destination shipments) after delivery of the household goods or dispatch of the DD FORM 1840 (pink form), whichever is later. The carrier can contact you directly and you must cooperate. The government may not be able to collect from the carrier if you do not allow an inspection. Contact the claims office if problems arise.
      6. The carrier can use a repair firm to do its inspection. The carrier's repair estimate may be used to adjudicate your claim, but only if the claims office determines that it is a reasonable valid estimate from a responsible firm near you.
      7. Salvage. If you are paid the actual value (depreciated replacement cost) of an item, it will belong to either the government or the carrier. However, if you want to keep the item instead of turning it in, you should let the claims office know when you file your claim. In that case, a salvage deduction may be taken from your payment which will allow you to keep the item. The amount of any salvage value deduction will depend on the type of item and its condition.
      8. Carrier salvage. If you do not want the item and the carrier pays the government for it, the carrier has salvage rights. The carrier must pick up the item at your residence or other mutually agreeable location within 45 days after your claim is paid by the government. Again, you must cooperate with the carrier or you may have to return the payment you received. If the carrier does not pick the item up in the time allowed, you may dispose of it as you wish.
      9. Government Salvage. If you do not want the item and the carrier has not paid for it, it belongs to the government. If it has a salvage value, the item must be turned in. Either the government will pick it up at your residence or you can transport the item to the salvage location if you wish.
  15. Extending Storage In Transit (SIT) /Temporary Storage
  16. Your basic entitlement for temporary storage is 90 days. If you have a legitimate need to extend your storage, you must provide a written request to DMO for an additional 90 days. Some reasons to extend temporary storage are:

    • Serious illness of the member
    • Serious illness or death of a dependent
    • Impending assignment to Government quarters
    • Directed TDY/TAD after arrival at permanent station
    • Natural disaster, e.g. Typhoon

    You must submit your request prior to the expiration date and your request must be approved by the transportation office storing your personal property. To extend your storage, you must contact our office and fill out a DD Form 1857.

  17. Non Temporary Storage (NTS)
  18. There are no NTS storage facilities on MCAS Iwakuni. All items shipped here must be able to fit into your residence.

  1. Household Goods Shipments (HHGs)
  2. A successful move is not a matter of chance. It is the result of planning and hard work. At the center of these efforts are you, the shipper. If you expect a good move, you must play an active role.

    The entitlement of transportation of household goods accrues and becomes fixed on the effective date of the orders directing PCS or TDY. As prescribed by the JTR, your weight allowance is based on the grade or rating held on the effect date of orders authorizing the shipment of property. http://www.move.mil/documents/dod/Weight_Allowance_Table_JTR.pdf

    What You May Ship As Household Goods - You may ship all personal property associated with the home and all personal effects belonging to you and your dependents on the effective date of orders of your permanent or temporary change of station orders. Also included are spare parts for a privately owned vehicle (extra tires and wheels, tire chains, tools, battery chargers, accessories) and a pickup tailgate when removed to install a camper. Snowmobiles, motorcycles, mopeds and golf carts may be shipped as household goods. Ask the Personal Property Counselor for more information.

    What You May Not Ship As Household Goods - Airplanes, automobiles, trucks, vans and similar motor vehicles; camper trailers; farm equipment.(You have a separate entitlement for your privately owned vehicle when moving to, from or between overseas duty stations.)

    Live animals not required in the performance of official duties, including birds, fish and reptiles;

    Articles of household goods acquired after the effective date of the orders Cordwood and building materials;

    Property for resale, disposal or commercial use rather than for use by the member and dependents;

    Privately owned firearms, live ammunition, powder, primers or igniting devices.

    Local laws or carrier regulations may prohibit commercial shipment of certain articles not listed above. Articles liable to impregnate or otherwise damage equipment or other property - for example, hazardous materials including explosives, flammable and corrosive materials and poisons are prohibited by laws and regulations.

  3. Unaccompanied Baggage Shipments
  4. Unaccompanied Baggage (UB) is commonly referred to as "Express Shipment", is the portion of household goods that is shipped separately and apart, usually by an expedited mode, which is required immediately upon or soon after you or your dependent's arrival at destination.

    Unaccompanied baggage may include, but is not limited to; clothing, uniforms, pots, pans, cribs, playpens, ironing boards, irons, coffee pots, toasters, small radios, portable television sets, stereo components, portable sewing machines, portable air-conditioners, golf clubs and bags, collapsible non-motorized golf carts, fishing equipment, etc.

    Unaccompanied baggage may not include major items of furniture such as chairs, tables, cabinets, washers, dryers, freezers, large-size refrigerators, beds, mattresses, etc.

    The shipment of unaccompanied baggage is limited to your prescribed weight allowances authorized to, from, and between overseas stations and in some cases within CONUS. Shipments should be arranged to arrive at destination within 5 days of arrival of you or your dependents.

  5. Arranging the Move
  6. When to Make Arrangements - If on active duty, you may ship personal property any time after receipt of permanent change of station orders. The earlier you call or visit your transportation office, the greater your chances of moving on the date you desire. Delaying the call or visit only creates hardships for everyone. During the peak summer, move season, a minimum of three weeks prior notice is necessary.

    To arrange your move in Iwakuni, all Marine Corps, Navy and Army personnel must use DMO. There you will get an entitlement and service authorized by your branch. Your origin DMO is your first point of contact when questions or problems about the movement of your personal property arise prior to shipment. Your transportation office will make all arrangements necessary to schedule packing and pickup of your household goods. Be prepared when you go to your DMO office to have:

    • Six (6) copies of your orders (and amendments/endorsements) for each type of shipment planned (household goods, Non-temporary storage, unaccompanied baggage, etc.)
    • An idea of when you want to move. Be as flexible as possible. You will be asked to select a packing and pickup date. During some periods, especially the summer, the date(s) you prefer may not be available. If at all possible, do not schedule pickup, lease termination, or house sale closing on the same date. Leave some time in your schedule for the unforeseen.
    • The date you plan to arrive at your new duty station. The counselor uses this date to determine the required delivery date of your shipment(s). For example, if you know you can't accept a shipment for three months, don't ask for delivery in one month. An idea of the types of shipments you expect to make and the estimated weight of each.
    • A list of large or unusual items (piano, pool table, china cabinet, wall unit, satellite dish, hot tub, boat, motorcycle, recreational vehicle, etc.). If you are unable to visit the transportation office, you may appoint your spouse or an agent to act on your behalf. A letter of authorization signed by you or a power of attorney is required. Be sure the person you choose knows what you want and has all the information to make the right arrangements. Remember, this person is acting for you, and you are responsible for that person's decisions.
    • Insurance Decision - Unfortunately, you may suffer loss or damage to your personal property when it is moved by a carrier or other third party. To protect against the possibility of such loss or damage, you must decide whether to purchase additional protection through a private insurance carrier. If your property is lost or damaged during a move, you may file a claim against the government. The maximum statutory amount the government can pay on a single claim is $40,000.Refer to page 5 and 6 of the Smooth Move Pamphlet.
  7. Do-It-Yourself Moves
  8. Any member authorized to ship household goods at Government expense may take part in the DITY move program. This includes members with orders for PCS, TDY, separation, retirement, or assignment to, from, or between Government quarters. This program allows a member to use a rented or leased truck, van, or trailer or certain POV to move their personal property instead of having the Government move it. You must first obtain approval from a DMO. More details can be obtained from the outbound personal property section, 253-3898/4439.

    NOTE: Failure to obtain approval from DMO will result in the government not reimbursing the member for moving expenses.

  9. Unauthorized Items
    Household Goods carriers are not licensed to carry firearms.
    All Personal Firearms must be sent via US Mail.
    Alcohols, Antifreeze Compounds, Camphor Oil
    Combustible Fluid Cleaners, Chlorinated Hydrocarbons in decorative lamps
    Battery with acid Disinfectants Dyes
    Flame retardant compounds, Sulfuric acid Iron/steel rust preventing compound
    Paint or Paint related materials, Iron/steel rust removing compound
    Muriatic acid, Nitric acid, Photographic acids
    Ammunition, Black Powder, Blasting Caps
    Dynamite or similar explosives, Explosive, auto alarms, Fireworks
    Fuse lighters, Igniters, Primers
    Propellants, Signal flares, Smokeless powder
    Souvenir explosives (war item) Spear guns w/charged heads, Toy Propellants or smoke device
    Acetone Adhesives (glues, cements) Ammonia
    Charcoal briquettes, cleaning fluids
    Denatured alcohol, Enamel, Gasoline
    Insecticides, Kerosene, Lacquer
    Leather dressing or bleach Lighter fluids, Liquors (any single container exceeding 1 gallon)
    Matches, Wood oil, stains, Paint
    Paint or varnish remover, Propane tanks (non-purged) other gas used for cooking or heating
    Shellac, Liquid shoe polish, Plastic solvents
    Stains, Turpentine, Varnish
    Wood filler
    Engine starting fluids, Fire extinguishers, Construction gases (welding)
    Scuba tanks (see note #1)
    Containing a flammable gas, Flammable liquids, Contain a toxic substance
    Containing a corrosive substance

    Note- Only those scuba diving tanks containing not more than 25 pounds per square inch at 70 degrees Fahrenheit may be shipped as in personal property. Servicing for shipment will include:

    1. Written certification of purging serviced by dive shop or licensed individual qualified to perform purging. A tag or label must be affixed to the tank certifying service was performed; or
    2. completely empty tank, remove the valve and replace valve with plug designed for this purpose.

    Other regulated material termed combustible, corrosive, or flammable.

  11. Moving Tips
  12. Prior to packing your household goods, the carrier's representative may conduct a pre-move survey telephonically or on-site, especially if your estimated weight is over 6,000 lbs. During the pre-move survey, show/tell the representative any item you think should deserve special attention. For example: Grandfather clocks, paintings, china and silverware. Don't forget the outside shed or garage. Any outdoor equipment is required to be disassembled and cleaned by the owner prior to shipment.

    You should consider the following items as well during your move;

    • Insure that you or your designated representatives are present during all phases of the move.
    • Control your pets. Pets have wandered into boxes, drawers, and trucks while packing is taking place. It is best to arrange for your pet to be at another location during the entire process.
    • Your rugs, except throw rugs, should be rolled for transport or storage. Do not permit the carrier to fold your rugs.
    • Insure clothing and draperies hung in upright wardrobes contain only those items. Nothing else should be placed into those containers. Upright wardrobes are not used for overseas, storage or domestic containerized shipments.
    • New cartons must be used for clothing, linen, bedding, mattresses, and box springs. Used cartons, in good condition, may be used for other items provided the old markings are obliterated.
    • Insure hardware from furniture dissembled by the carrier is placed in bags and attached to the article. Upon delivery, if you desire, these articles must be reassembled by the carrier.
    • If you own a large wall unit, slate-bed pool table, pipe organ or water bed, and it is disassembled by a third party contractor or the carrier, you may need proof of this at destination. Insist that a notation be made on your household goods inventory and the DD Form 619, Statement of Accessorial Services Performed.
    • If firearms are shipped or stored, insure that each firearm is listed on the inventory separately with the make, model, caliber or gauge, and serial number.
    • If you declare professional books, papers and equipment (PBP&E), insure that each item is listed as PBP&E on the inventory in addition to the description of contents. The net weight of each PBP&E item or cube must also be annotated. This is important to insure you are credited with the weight of approved PBP&E items, which is in addition to your authorized weight entitlement.
    • Insure the items you intend to take with you are placed out of the way. Lock them in a closet or your automobile. DO NOT LEAVE JEWELRY, PURSES OR WALLETS LYING AROUND. Place these items in a secure place also.
    • Before you release the carrier, make certain all property to be shipped is removed from residence by checking all rooms, closets, cabinets, and storage areas.
    • Have expensive and valuable items (artwork, collectibles, heirlooms, etc.) appraised. The government will not pay for the appraisals, but consider this part of your investment in the event of loss or damage. Use a video camera or take close-up pictures to record the condition of your furniture and to show what your expensive and valuable items look like. This will allow you to show the item as it was, if it is lost or damaged during shipment.
    • Don't ship small, extremely valuable items such as stocks, bonds, jewelry, coins/coin collections, and items of great sentimental value such as photo albums. Pack them in your suitcases and hand carry them, as well as your purchase receipts, pictures and appraisals.
    • Bear in mind that if you waive unpacking, the carrier is not required to return later to unpack or remove the empty cartons and crates. An unpacking waiver lets the carrier off the hook for completing the job, including removing empty cartons, packing materials and other debris. If at any time you decide to assist the carrier, that is, help load/unload the truck, you may relieve the carrier of any liability.
    • Household goods and unaccompanied baggage shipments should not be scheduled for pickup on the same day. Items you intend to be in one shipment may wind up in the other causing you hardship. Additionally you may incur excess cost if one agent has to wait on the other to finish. Note that it is the agent’s option to wait or cancel the pickup either decision would result in excess cost to YOU. You, not your transportation officer or the carrier are responsible for staying within the weight allowance. If the weight of items packed, shipped or stored exceeds your weight allowance, you must pay all charges connected with the excess weight.
    • For this reason, estimating the weight of your household goods is very important. Estimates should start early, even before you visit your transportation office to set up the move. The counselor at your transportation office will need an estimated weight for each shipment you intend to make. An easy and fairly dependable method for making this estimate is to figure 1,000 pounds per room (not including storage rooms or bathrooms) and then add the estimated weight of large appliances and items in the garage, storage rooms, basement, etc.
    • Verify Accuracy of Excess Cost - To avoid excess weight charges, stay within your authorized weight allowance by estimating early and disposing of unnecessary possessions. When you receive a notification for exceeding your weight allowance, check it carefully. Often you may not have received credit for professional books, papers and equipment or some other entitlement. If you have any question concerning your excess weight, contact your transportation office.

    Request for Reweigh - You are entitled to have your shipment reweighed prior to delivery at destination. A request for a reweigh can be made through the transportation office either at origin or at destination prior to delivery.

  13. Your Responsibilities at Origin
  14. Keep your Transportation Office informed of any change in your orders or other changes, such as the telephone number at which you can be reached until you leave your old duty station.

    After arrangements have been made, they should not be changed. Changing moving dates, especially during summer months, can mean a lengthy delay in getting your move rescheduled. If you find the date must be changed, contact the transportation office immediately. Do not call the carrier!

    You or your representative designated in writing must be home when the movers arrive to pack and remove your belongings.

    Thirty (30) days in advance is not too early to begin preparation for your move;

    • Remove your TV antenna/disconnect satellite dish. Empty, defrost and thoroughly wash the inside of your refrigerator and/or freezer. To keep mildew at a minimum during transit and storage, these appliances need at least two days to dry out. Leave doors open after cleaning.
    • Drain water from hot tubs and water beds.
    • Remove window air conditioners.
    • Disconnect and prepare all components such as stereos, turntables, compact disc players, video disc players, computers, printers, televisions and VCRs for the move.
    • Disconnect all appliances such as washer, dryer and cooking stove. If plumbing, electrical or carpentry work is needed in disconnecting these appliances, you must arrange for the work and pay the charges connected with it.
    • Dispose of foods that could spill or spoil in transit or storage.
    • Dispose of worn out and unneeded items before the move to avoid wasteful packing, moving or storage expenses and most important, excess weight to you.
    • Remove pictures, curtain rods and mirrors from walls. Inspect the kitchen for utensil and food racks or other holders secured to walls, cabinets or doors and remove them.
    • Dismantle outdoor play equipment and outdoor structures (utility sheds, playhouses, swing or gym sets, etc.).
    • Ensure personal property items are free of soil/pest infestation that is, gypsy moths, brown tree snakes, etc. Remember: Complying with requirements of the U.S. Department of Agriculture and state laws is your responsibility.
    • Remove personal property from an attic, crawl space or similar storage area within the residence. The carrier's personnel are not required to go into areas that:
    • Are not accessible by a permanent stairway (ladders are not considered a permanent stairway).
    • Are not adequately lighted.
    • Do not have a finished floor.
    • Do not allow a person to stand erect.
    • Have your property separated by shipment and distinctly marked. Put items that are to go in the unaccompanied baggage shipment in one room, distinctly mark items for storage, items not to be packed and so on. This reduces the chance that items will get into the wrong shipment or that items to be discarded will be shipped. When possible, dispose of all trash and items to be discarded prior to the mover's arrival.
    • Separate your professional items and authorized consumables. Be sure they are identified on the inventory as professional books, papers and equipment or authorized consumables as the items are weighed separately.
    • Remove all old carrier markings and stickers from furniture and boxes.
    • Identify contents left in drawers. Be sure the inventory reflects the contents.
    • Ensure each carton and loose item (ladder, rake, etc.,) has an inventory tag and appears on the inventory.
    • Monitor the wrapping and packing of your items. Make sure everything is wrapped individually and adequately. Make sure heavy items aren't packed on top of light items.
    • Don't allow your property to be taken to the warehouse to be packed without first consulting the transportation office.
    • Drain all gasoline, oil and water, and remove the battery from power-driven equipment (motorcycle, moped, lawn mowers, etc.) prior to pick up.
    • Carefully read the inventory prepared by the carrier's personnel before you sign. Look at it from time to time while the items are being packed. Make sure all boxes and loose items are listed. If a box contains crystal, make sure the inventory says "crystal" not "kitchen items." Make sure descriptions of major items are complete and accurate. If the packers list "color television", have them add the size, make, model and when readily accessible, the serial number. This also applies to stereo and video components. Check the string of symbols listed for each item closely (this is how the packers show pre-existing damage). These symbols are explained in the top, right-hand corner of the inventory. For example, "BR 2-4-5-3" means "broken, bottom front left corner." A good inventory shows what you shipped and what condition the item was in at the time of pickup. If your inventory is inaccurate, tell the carrier's representative and write down why you disagree at the bottom of the inventory in the space marked for exceptions.
    • Do not argue with the carrier's representative. If you have a problem, call your transportation office at once. Do not sign anything until you read, understand and agree with it. You must be provided a legible copy of everything you sign. Never sign a blank, incomplete or illegible form or a form you cannot clearly understand.
  15. Carrier Responsibilities at Origin
  16. The carrier is responsible for packing and preparing all your property for shipment. You can expect the carrier to begin service between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. The start and completion of any service provided by the carrier can vary depending on the type of move - that is, NTS, international shipment, etc. Contact your local transportation office for specifics. However, if you have no objection to the carrier beginning service before or after these hours, let the origin transportation know.

    At pickup, the carrier must:

    • Use new, clean packing materials for linen, clothing and bedding.
    • Use new or like-new packing materials for all other items. Excelsior or newspaper is not allowed. Items packed in boxes should be padded and insulated from carton walls.
    • Pack mirrors, pictures and glass table tops in specially designed cartons.
    • Wrap and protect all finished surfaces from marring or scratching. Usually this is accomplished through use of furniture pads.
    • Properly roll and protect rug and rug pads at residence. Only small throw rugs may be folded.
    • Pack all designated professional books, papers and equipment in separate boxes. These cartons must be marked "Professional Books, Papers, and Equipment," weighed separately and listed on the inventory form.
    • Put all nuts, bolts and screws from an item disassembled for movement by carrier personnel in a bag and attach the bag securely to the item.
    • Mark each carton to show general contents.
    • Prepare an accurate and legible inventory.
Freight Section

The Distribution Management Office provides Freight services for the tenant commands, and other Department of Defense Activities aboard MCAS Iwakuni. We also support any deployed units aboard MCAS Iwakuni or any other units deployed in the Western Pacific Area.

Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Location: Bldg. 1710  
Contact: Freight SNCOIC: 253-6716
Freight Manager: 253-4269
Freight ANCOIC: 253-4379
Shipping NCO: 253-3077
Receiving NCO: 253-3370
Local Address: DMO Freight Bldg. 1710, Misumi-cho, Iwakuni-Shi, Yamaguchi-Ken, 7400025

The Shipping section is responsible for processing all outbound cargo that is received from Packing, Processing & Preservation (PP&P), Bldg. 1287. All units must properly prepare a DD Form 1348/ DD Form 1149 and deliver cargo to PP&P for proper packing, packaging, preservation, marking and unitization. All units must provide proper and approved Transportation Account Code (TAC) code for all outgoing materials. Once this process is complete, cargo is forwarded to Freight DMO for final processing and movement via DLA trucks or by Commercial means for final destination. Other forms might be required if moving HAZMAT or classified cargo.

Freight Receiving processes all inbound cargo using the Automated Manifest System (AMS), and ensures all inbound cargo is dispatched to the proper units onboard MCAS Iwakuni within 24 hours from the time it was received.

Our Admin section can provide shipping status on all inbound and outbound cargo as well as cost estimates to potential customers. For up-to-date status on cargo or cost estimates please call 253-4379. The following information is required on all tracing and tracer requests: Transportation Control Number (TCN), or Document number, date shipped, origin of shipment, nomenclature and required delivery date (RDD).

For cost estimates please include the following: Length x Width x Height, Weight, pick up location and destination.

Packaging, Packing and Preservation Section

The Packaging, Packing and Preservation Section (PP&P) handles general military cargo, hazardous materials, weapons and classified gear. We do not handle personal property. For shipment tracking services, please refer to Freight Section. Our services require the following documents to be filled out properly and approved by a competent authority.

Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Location: Bldg. 1287, next to the contractor’s gate and Fukuoka Soko Company
Contact: 253-6759
Packaging and Preservation Work Request
Work Request
General Military Cargo
DD Form 1149 or 1348
Vehicles or Generators
DD Form 1149 or 1348
DD Form 1387-2 (Special Handling Data Certification)
Hazardous Materials
DD Form 1149 or 1348
Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
Weapons and Classified Gear
DD Form 1149 or 1348
DD Form 1387-2 (Special Handling Data Certification)

If you or your unit needs to get items packaged for storage purposes or a unit exercise purpose please contact the office with details of what you are requiring and we will advise on that particular item or items. Also if you do have a DD Form 1149 and you are shipping something that is not been processed through DMO Freight we can provide packaging and labeling services. If you need a wooden container for an item that cannot be brought to our shop for whatever reason please provide us with the length width and height of the item or for the container size you are requesting.


The Advance Traceability and Control (ATAC) program has been established by Naval Inventory Control Point (NAVICP) to provide a global network of logistics sites which can provide packaging and transportation services, as well as simplifies the retrograde process. It provides traceability/ accountability, establishes HUBS for centralized Retrograde Processing and NODES for unconsolidated and Transshipment, ensures TIR reporting to the ICP for all retrograde material, reduces carcass tracking follow-ups and reduces delays in movement and processing of retrogrades.

Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday: 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Location: Bldg. 1710
Contact: 253-5986
  1. Pack or crate in accordance with Naval Supply Systems Command (NAVSUP) P-700.
  2. Attach DD Form 1348-1A to the package, proper documents and certification
  3. Enclose SRC card/Logbook, if required, in the container with the retrograde.
  1. Marine gas turbine engines (Shipboard Propulsion Units);
  2. Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM) components;
  3. Classified items;
  4. Material already determined as going to DRMO should not be sent to ATAC or shipped using ATAC transportation;
  5. Re-distributions;
  6. RADIAC equipment (Federal Supply Class (FSC) 6665);
  7. Hazardous/flammable items unless properly packaged and certified in accordance with Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, and NAVSUP P-505;
  8. Nuclear Reactor Plant material (Special Material Identification Code (SMIC) X1, X2, X3, X4, and X5);
  9. Small Arms (transport in accordance with NAVSUPINST 4600.70A, Chapter 34);
  10. 1H, 1R or 3H Cog FLRs with MCC "D";
  11. NAVSEA managed material (2F, 2J, and 2S cog items);
  12. Size/weight exclusions for collocated DSP/DOP (40 foot van, 8000 lbs).
  13. Aviation Engineering Investigation Exhibits
  14. CONTROLLED INVENTORY. All items with a Controlled Inventory
  15. CONTROLLED INVENTORY. All items with a Controlled Inventory Item Code (CIIC) of A-H, K-L, N-T, 1-6, OR 8-9, including all Arms, Ammunition, and Explosives (AA&E)
    1. RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL. All items with a Special Material Content Code (SMCC) of R or X, or a Special Material Identification Code (SMIC) of RS or RE.
  16. STRATEGIC WEAPON SYSTEMS (SWS). All item with a Cognizance Code (COG) of 2P, 2X, 4P, 4X, 6A, 6H, 6P, 6X, 8P, or 8X.
Click here to expand contentClick here to collapse content  Note
  • ATAC cannot ship any items, which have not previously been processed into eRMS.
  • ATAC cannot ship any items lacking proper documentation (DD 1348-1A, HAZMAT Certification, etc.)
Point of Contacts
Distribution Management Officer
DMO Chief
Passenger Travel Office (PTO)
After hour's duty phone : 080-5865-3564
Commercial Travel Office (CTO)
24 hour travel assistance: 800-468-2987
Personal Property Processing Office (PPPO)
Freight Section
SNCOIC : 253-6716
Manager : 253-4269
Shipping Section : 253-5891
Receiving Section : 253-3370
Status on Cargo : 253-4379
Shipping Cost Estimates : 253-4379
Packaging, Packing & Preservation Section (PP&P)
SNCOIC : 253-6759
NCOIC/Admin : 253-3345
Advance Traceability and Control (ATAC)