Iwakuni HomeWelcome AboardHousing and LodgingFamily HousingMust Know
Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan


Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan

MCAS Iwakuni is a mission-ready air station, capable of providing continuous base-operating support for tenant organizations and follow-on U.S. and allied forces during training, combat or contingency (HA/DR) operations throughout the Indo-Asia Pacific region.
Must Know : Family Housing

All family housing under the jurisdiction or assignment control of the Marine Corps is assigned to eligible personnel without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. In addition, residing in government owned housing is a privilege not an entitlement.

If you or your family members have special needs (ex: wheelchair, walker/cane, other disabilities etc) please contact us as soon as you have orders or expect to report to Iwakuni. This is an Overseas Command and all needs may not be able to be accommodated.

Government Housing Eligibility:
  • All military members on accompanied orders with accompanying family members and area clearance as well as U.S. Civilians GS-11 and above on a Transportation Agreement who receive a Living Quarters Allowance (LQA) are eligible to reside in base housing.
  • Accompanying bona fide family members are those family members who have bona fide dependent status and are included on your command sponsorship approval/area clearance, and will reside with the sponsor for nine consecutive months or more each year. Joint custody of children does not make someone eligible for family housing. In those cases off base housing is the only option.
  • Advance applications will be accepted but will not advance in to the freeze zone until member physically arrives on station.
  • Members must check-in with the Family Housing Office within 2 working days of arrival with a copy of endorsed original orders and area clearance. If member is traveling non-concurrent member must show an itinerary indicating that family members will arrive within 45 days before a housing offer can be made. If member checks-in after 30 days, the control date will be the date when member checks into the Housing Office and provides a copy of order, area clearance and housing application the last day that all documents have been received will be the established control date.
Waiting list:
  • Applicants will be placed on the waiting list when housing receives the DD-1746, copy of orders and area clearance, once all these documents are received will establish the control date.
  • Housing will offer the first available unit or the unit in the member designated category that has been vacant the longest regardless of having pet.
  • Pets, are not a valid reason to refuse government or local economy housing.  Failure to accept housing because of pets will result in the termination of Temporary Lodging Allowance the day prior to the day housing could be occupied.
  • Per the MCIPAC TLA order refusal of government housing will lead to termination of Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) affective the day member could have moved in to quarters.
  • Please stay in touch with housing who will continue to keep you updated on the current waiting times which can change without prior notice.
  • Contact Family Housing by e-mail: iwknfamilyhousing@usmc.mil .
Furniture and household:
  • It is recommended that you DO NOT bring heavy and/or oversized furniture (King size beds etc). If you are required to reside off base, Japanese home and rooms may not be large enough to accommodate the larger American Furniture. Quarters on base depend on what is available and what is offered may be smaller than stateside homes.
  • Housing provides a stove, refrigerator, washer/dryer and dishwasher for on base quarters.
  • For command sponsored accompanied with dependents, those personnel who reside off-base may be provided an electric countertop oven, refrigerator and Japanese style washer and dryer (if available) and depending on the situation an American stove maybe issued.  An American washer or dryer and refrigerator normally are two large to fit into a Japanese house.
  • Due to the high humidity in Iwakuni it is recommended you bring or purchase your own dehumidifier.
  • If your household goods have not arrived when you move into either on or off-base quarters, loaner furniture is available for up to 60 days (For command sponsored accompanied personnel only). Linen is not provided. You may want to put all items that would be immediately needed in your express shipment.
  • Family Housing cannot support any unaccompanied personnel with any kind of loaner and or permanently issued equipment. The only service Family Housing is authorized to provide to unaccompanied personnel is off base housing referral.
  • Even though members are authorized to bring their pets to MCAS Iwakuni, it is strongly recommended that families DO NOT bring a pet.
  • It can be difficult to find off-base housing that will accept pets mainly.

Marine Corps Order prohibits full or mixed dog breeds aboard Marine Corps installations; Pit Bulls, Rottweiler, Chow Chow, Dobermann, canid/wolf hybrid. For more information about this policy, contact your local housing office.

Off-base housing:

  • When moving into off-base housing, if you are eligible for housing allowances active duty members will receive Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA), a one-time Move-in Housing Allowance (MIHA) and Utility allowance, for civilians with transportation agreement you will receive Living Quarters Allowance (LQA).
  • You will be assisted with off-base housing through the formal listings located in the housing office, bi-lingual contracts, setting up local bank accounts, establishing of telephone, utility service, and disputes between the resident and landlord will be handled by off-base referral specialists.

  • Locating and finding a home off base is the members' responsibility. Housing will assist by, explaining the house hunting requirements, and once quarters are found will work with the agent/owner to complete the leasing process.
  • Off-base Rentals available online at http://www.homes.mil; type Iwakuni Japan for location. All available homes on Homes.mil have been inspected and approved by the family housing office. The off-base process cannot begin until the service member arrives in Iwakuni. Homes rented on a first-come-first serve basis and cannot be held for service members who have not arrived in Iwakuni.
3-Step Resolution Process for Housing

Phone Directory
Title DSN Commercial number from Japan Commercial number from the U.S.
Housing management assistant 253-5541 0827-79-5541 011-81-827-79-5541
How to apply for housing

To apply for housing, fill in and submit Form DD1746. All applicants are placed on a waiting list by their established application control date.

There are several ways to submit the form to Family Housing:

By mail:
MCAS Iwakuni
Facilities Department
Military Housing Division
Family Housing Office
PSC 561 BOX 1871
FPO AP 96310-0019
By fax:
DSN: 253-6521
Commercial number from Japan: 0827-79-6521
Commercial number from U.S.: 011-81-827-79-6521
By e-mail:
  1. Have your sponsor request it for you

    Ask your sponsor to fill in the form DD1746 or give them the filled form, and ask them to submit it to our office.

  2. Request it on your own before arriving at MCAS Iwakuni

    Visit your local base housing office to get the form DD1746, or use the form on this site. Fill in the form and sent it to our office:

  3. Request it after arriving at MCAS Iwakuni

    Visit the Family Housing Office, Building 200, and complete the application. Our hours of operation is Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 0800-1630; Wednesday 0800-1330.